Having lived in Waltham Abbey for 9 years I am in my first term as a District Councillor on Epping Forest District Council for my local ward.

Joining a successful conservative administration in tough but interesting times is proving to be exciting and rewarding.

Here are my views on work, life and politics.




Friday 9 July 2010

more training........



I have to admit that being pretty computer literate I was feeling a little irritated by the prospect of a three hour training session after a full day at work and the joys of commuting on the central line. Last night was the Committee Management System training session for new members however and after the first half an hour I was pleasantly surprised.

While the mechanics of the system are fairly straight forward the real eye opener for me was the sheer amount of information that is available through the system to me as a councillor! The prospect of blog pages and personal websites for councillors, which will hopefully be up and running after the summer, was equally exciting.

The whole system reflects the fantastic work that the Democratic Services and IT teams have been doing to keep Epping Forest District Council at the forefront of EDemocracy.

In fact our web casting project is being showcased to officers from Harlow Town Council during the coming weeks and rightly so!

While web casting meetings may keep the pressure on us councillors to behave in the chamber and really think before we speak, or risk our faux pas being immortalised forever, it gives a fantastic opportunity for members of the public to actually engage with the great work the council continues to do and we should be duly proud of this.

Quite whether I feel that way after the coming Overview and Scrutiny Committee on Monday is another question.

We will be debating the revised licensing of mobile home sites in Epping Forest on which I put my name to Cllr Liz Webster’s call in. I am looking forward to healthy debate in front of what should be an unusually large crowd for an O & S Committee meeting. Perhaps a good one for those Web casting archives too……..

No comments:

Post a Comment